Porter Press International
Jaguar XK 120 - The story of 660725
Author: Simon Ham
The third title in the Porter Press Profiles series tells the incredible ‘Ripping Yarn’ of a well-travelled Jaguar XK 120. Chassis 660725 was ordered new by Singaporean businessman and amateur racing driver Chan Lye Choon, but soon after its arrival it was acquired by Malayan-based Scotsman Bob Henderson, a young rubber trader who would keep the car for more than 60 years.
During its time in the Far East, 660725 was shot at by Communist Terrorists during the Malayan Emergency, competed in official and highly unofficial road races, and eventually followed its owner from Malaya to Indonesia. Then it was back to Scotland – where the XK was occasionally used for towing de Havilland Mosquito aircraft as well as racing against them – and on to Canada, where it achieved notable success in ice-racing and rallying.
After a long period of hibernation, 660725 was restored in the early years of the 21st century before Henderson decided to carry out his own disc brake conversion. Amazingly, this resourceful engineer also fitted a turbocharger, which led to the elderly XK recording a 0-100mph time of 13.8 seconds!
Written by Simon Ham with considerable input from Henderson himself, this book covers all of the car’s adventures in detail, bringing the story right up to date via its recent recommissioning work with its current owner. It really is ‘Boy’s Own Stuff’!
- Full story of the Jaguar’s time in Kuala Lumpur and its competition activities in the Far East
- Ice-racing success in Canada and its victory in the gruelling Canadian International Winter Rally
- How the car was restored in Bob Henderson’s native Scotland following 30 years of storage
- An in-depth look at how its owner successfully fitted a turbocharger to the venerable six-cylinder engine
- Details of Henderson’s best-known automotive creation – the mid-engined Argyll GT
- Dozens of evocative images from Henderson’s personal collection, plus a bespoke studio photoshoot
220m x 245mm, jacketed hardback, 96 pages, 220 x 245mm
Over 85 photographs, including colour
Free shipping is applied to orders over £200.
All orders are shipped via DHL Express.
Made to Order products are dispatched within 28 days of purchase.
Pre-Order products are expected to be dispatched within 3-4 weeks from time of purchase.
For more information on shipping, returns and exchanges please click here.